13 th October Still in lockdown

I have been plodding along quite well and feel emotionally calm but I seem to be kidding myself. I am chronically teeth clenching such that I suspect I have caused a crack. One tooth seems too sensitive. Damn, now I will need another crown I suppose. Kaching$$$! I have finally worked out a good time to meditate daily. Straight after my zoom gym works really well and I am making good progress, yet the teeth clenching is not decreasing. I am frustrated by that. I honestly don’t feel depressed or miserable.

Especially now my new grandson has been born. He was not due for another 10 days but on Friday 9 th Clare, my daughter-in-law went into labour and everything escalated so quickly that they were not far from delivering at home! Fortunately they live close to the hospital and got there in time. They arrived at 11.30 am and Marlo Reggie was born at 12.37pm. He was 2.812 kg and 50 cm and healthy despite being born still encased in en caul, in the amniotic sac. Clare’s waters had not broken. I looked it up and it is quite rare but safe. We were all so excited and thrilled. Poor Ziggy had seen his mum having some contractions and was anxious, but he was soon elated at the birth of a little brother. Clare is a superwoman according to Jonathan, my son. He said she barely broke a sweat! It was all so fast. Fortunately after being monitored hourly she and Marlo returned home on Saturday morning. Barely 24 hours in hospital.

As we had all begun to think it might be a girl the parents were somewhat distracted and had not settled on a name. So for 24 hours he was just No 2 son or baby! When Ziggy returned from staying overnight with his other grandparents he took one look at him and the shortlist of names and pronounced him Marlo Reggie! Reggie honours Clare’s mother who is Regina. I love the name. He has more hair than Ziggy had and we will wait and see if it is curly too. When you hold a newborn you are so shocked at how small they are. He seems, is, so tiny and light. I was desperate to see him but with CoVid restrictions I couldn’t just race over. I was so envious of Nick who had to drop by to collect Jonathan’s car and gear for a photo shoot, and was able to meet his new nephew. I decided to give them some space first. I occupied myself with cooking for the family and then headed over on Monday.

Ziggy had finally returned to school and despite butterflies in the morning, he had had a great day. He was jubilant but tired. Clare had walked down to collect him from school. I delivered choc chip biscuits, chicken and veggie soup and Sticky chicken stir fry with Gai Lan as well as a basket of goodies for Clare and a Turkish delight treat for Jonathan. I got to hold the little man and marvel at what a miracle babies are.

First hold of Marlo

The news is that restrictions are going to be eased despite our not meeting the original guidelines. Expanding the restriction zones at least and who you can visit would make life more bearable for many. I had my first twinge of envy on Sunday when I walked the dog and saw so many people in small groups having picnics. I felt I was missing out.

Picnics in the park

Fingers crossed that we can socialise more freely outside and with family members. It would ease the pressure which I think will explode to non-compliance if the Government doesn’t ease up.

Last week I was the chief supervisor for the year 12 GAT ( General Assessmet Test) at Bialik. I have worked as an assistant supervisor for exams there before but this was a big step up. It is so official and the security and integrity of the exam is paramount. With 147 students it was quite arduous. I was exhausted at the end. You don’t get paid brilliantly and so it is a community service of sorts because the exams require independent people without any likely year 12 student or teaching connections. I have met a bunch of lovely people in the process and feel like I am contributing to the community.

My walk for Polio is progressing and I have almost made my target in donations with 75 kms to go. I had a walk along the river with Katrina and her dog Bella the other day. She showed me a new path which I discovered had the most beautiful gracious period homes. I think I will try to walk the route from home and back. It will be about 12kms so that is a good chunk. Polio is something we don’t think about much. When I reflected on the people I knew who had had it and how lucky we were protected by vaccines in the 60s, I realise how easy it is to take these illnesses for granted. CoVid has highlighted our complacency. We may have to learn to live with it and it’s consequences for many years before a vaccine is found. Polio was a scourge in society up until the early 60s. My aunt contracted it in the 20s, and a Scottish friend in the 50s. That is 30 years alone. We have been so lucky in developed countries and there are still a few places where wild polio exists. Until it is eradicated there is a chance for it to re-establish. The organisation of Rotary is committed to funding eradication programs and that is what I am walking for.


Author: fleetfootkath

I am a keen walker and traveller. I love to explore and learn about new people, places and cultures with a sense of joy and gratitude for this fortunate life. I believe walking is a wonderful way to really connect with the present and the beauty of the world that surrounds us. It makes me happy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: